How to Tell If Your Dog is in Pain and How to Help
A dog is a mammal, just like human beings. Dogs also feel pain in reaction to injury, infection, or possible harm. Because of their stoic nature, most dogs tend to hide their pain, and that means if you are not keen enough, you may not know why your canine friend is no longer barking.
When you buy reptile food and supplies in Kuwait for your dog, you should also ensure the pet dog is in the best shape. Pain that goes untreated in dogs could have severe repercussions and health conditions.
How do you know if your pet dog is in pain?
1 – Physical symptoms
Your dog will show the following physical symptoms when they are in pain:
- Arched back
- Twitching and tight muscles
- Holding the head below the shoulders
- Trembling and shaking
2 – Change of behavior
When your dog is in pain, it is most likely to change their behavior; they tend to be crankier when they experience pain. Here are the signs to watch out for:
- Licking excessively
- Not wanting a touch
- Excess vocalization
3 – Change in mobility
You are most likely to notice a change in mobility if your pet has developed arthritis and other types of pain. There are other signs in your dog that show they are in distress:
- Inability to get up or lie down
- Refusing to walk
- Walking slowly
- Not able to jump or use stairs
You should discuss mobility and behavioral changes in your dog with the vet. Pain can be seen in most cases as a severe behavioral and medical problem too.
You can also get your pet reptile food and supplies in Kuwait if they have appetite issues.
What are the causes of dog pain?
A dog can feel pain for many reasons. The extent of pain depends on the cause of the pain. Some dogs experience acute pain, while others experience severe pain.
In some cases, dogs can experience chronic pain that results from an underlying illness or condition. Pain can result from joint, bone, and soft tissue damage. Pain can also result from health conditions like:
- Back problems
- Dental diseases
- Degenerative joint disease
- Intervertebral disk disease
What to do if your dog is in pain
If your dog is in pain, you can do the following:
- Visit a vet: The first thing you should do when you notice any signs of pain in your pet is to make an appointment with a vet for diagnosis and treatment.
- Stop physical activities: When you notice your dog is in pain, you should modify or stop any physical activities.
- Record all the signs: Keep a record of all the signs your pet dog is showing and take this with you when you visit the vet. You can also have a video of how your dog behaves to help diagnose your pet.
- Seek treatment: There are different vet treatments your pet can undergo, such as acupuncture, surgery, medications, and regenerative medicine.
You should contact your vet soon if you notice any changes in your pet. Pay attention to any signs your pet is showing, and seek help as soon as possible to get your canine friend in shape again.